CNN | Venezuela’s former National Guard chief charged, street clashes continue

By Rafael Romo, Elwyn Lopez, Marilia Brocchetto and Ray Sanchez

Chief prosecutor, a former government loyalist who has become one of president’s leading critics, says police and military to blame for protest deaths

(CNN)Venezuela’s Attorney General Luisa Ortega on Thursday announced charges against the former head of the national guard, accusing him of systematic human rights violations during sometimes deadly anti-government demonstrations.

The announcement came amid fresh clashes between police and protesters on the rain-soaked streets of Caracas. A day earlier, Venezuela’s Supreme Court banned Ortega from leaving the country and ordered her assets frozen, ahead of a hearing scheduled for July 4.

That inquiry, which was requested by an ally of embattled President Nicolas Maduro, will seek to determine if Ortega committed unspecified “grave errors while in her position.”

Ortega, a vocal critic of Maduro’s government, could face a trial.

Ortega’s office, in a statement Thursday, said former National Guard Commander Antonio Benavides Torres has been charged in connection with “serious and systematic human rights violations” during the ongoing demonstrations.

Benavides Torres was sanctioned for human rights abuses by the White House in 2015. This month, Human Rights Watch accused him — along with other high-level officials — of failing to take steps to prevent or punish violations.

Benavides Torres was removed from his National Guard post last week and named head of government of the Capital District.

The attorney general’s statement, referring to alleged abuses by authorities during more than 80 days of demonstrations, said: “In a great number of these incidents, there is evidence of excessive use of force in repressing protests.”

The political turmoil gripping the country took a surreal turn on Wednesday with an audacious attack on the Supreme Court, with grenades and gunfire being launched from a police helicopter.

That helicopter was found Wednesday in a rural part of the country, but the man authorities say piloted the aircraft — Oscar Perez — is still on the run.

Venezuela's Chief Prosecutor Luisa Ortega Diaz at a news press in Caracas on May 24.

2 Reacties op “CNN | Venezuela’s former National Guard chief charged, street clashes continue

  1. Ik heb respect voor deze dame zij heeft meer ballen dan menig mannen, zij durft wel die Chavistas aan te pakken. Ik vraag me af wie is die gekke Daan Banaan of Luisa Ortega Diaz?

  2. Daan Banaan

    ‘“It is evident that this lady is not in her right mind, It is clear that this lady is not normal,” Carreño said.’

    In de ogen van een gek is elke andere persoon afwijkend.

Geef een reactie

Het e-mailadres wordt niet gepubliceerd. Vereiste velden zijn gemarkeerd met *