WILLEMSTAD – Former Curaçao Prime Minister Gerrit Schotte was informed by Parliament President William “Junior” Millerson via bailiff that the MFK-leader’s membership of the legislature has come to end with his irrevocable corruption sentence following the confirmation of such by the High Court in The Hague.
Schotte has two weeks to file an appeal against this order with the Joint Court of the Dutch Caribbean territories based on the Administrative Justice LAR law. If he does so his seat cannot go the opposition party’s next-in-line candidate Jerniël Carolina pending the outcome of this process.
Marije Vaders represents Schotte and his also convicted – of money laundering – life partner and director of Vanddis N.V. Cicely van der Dijs locally. She informed authorities that he is willing to report for serving his prison term for accepting a political bribe, forgery and money laundering in a coordinated manner.
The lawyer was assured that, according to applicable regulations, the elected representative would not be taken into custody for at least eight days. Van der Dijs has meanwhile submitted a pardon request with Governor Lucille George-Wout for her prison sentence of 15 months, of which six suspended.
The couple with small children plans to continue fighting, but their attorney in the Netherlands Geert-Jan Knoops could not yet say if the European Court of Human Rights might be the next legal step. The Prosecutor’s Office in Willemstad does not consider the detention of Van der Dijs a priority.
Bron: Curacao Chronicle
Aanloop naar Babel
- Aangifte Harry Verstappen tegen Gerrit Schotte
- Aanvullende aangifte Harry Verstappen
- Anonieme aangifte tegen Gerrit Schotte
- Dagvaarding Gerrit Schotte/Cicely van der Dijs
2016 Babel in Eerste Aanleg
- Requisitoir Gert Rip
- Pleitnotitie Eldon ‘Peppie’ Sulvaran
- 11 maart 2016 – Strafvonnis in Eerste Aanleg Gerrit Schotte
- 11 maart 2016 – Strafvonnis in Eerste Aanleg Cicely van der Dijs
2017 Babel in Hoger Beroep
- Requistoir Liomar Angela
- Pleitnotitie Geert-Jan Knoops
- Verzoek tot het horen van R. Pellicano, officier van justitie te Milaan
- 21 juli 2017 – Strafvonnis in hoger beroep Gerrit Schotte
- 21 juli 2017 – Strafvonnis in hoger beroep Cicely van der Dijs
2018 Babel in Cassatie
- Conclusie Advocaat-generaal cassatiezaak Babel
- Vonnis Gerrit Schotte: ECLI:NL:HR:2018:2157
- Vonnis Cicely van der Dijs: ECLI:NL:HR:2018:2158
Bron: Achterkant van Curacao